P.S. - RE: [redhat-list] updates pending question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu May 9 20:39:49 UTC 2013

Constance   Morris wrote:
> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of m.roth at 5-cent.us
> Constance   Morris wrote:
> Btw, please stop top posting.
>
>> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of m.roth at 5-cent.us
>> Constance   Morris wrote:
>>> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Constance Morris
>>>
>>> Anyone understand the red hat customer portal for registered servers?
>>>
>>> My red hat customer portal shows that there are several events
>>> (errata updates) that failed for my registered server. I have rescheduled
>>> them by clicking the 'reschedule' button for each one. Now, they are
>>> showing in the 'pending' section of the 'events' tab for my
>>> registered server.
>>>
>>> I have unlocked the server and selected them, so that it now says the
>>> following at the top of the screen:
>>> "Pending Events
>>> The following events have been scheduled for this system.
>>> This system is currently unlocked. All scheduled actions will be
>>> executed as expected. To stop system-changing events, you may
>>> lock<https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/systems/details/Overview.do?sid=10264
>>> 52907>
>>> this system.
>>> You may cancel events for this system by selecting them and hitting
>>> the Cancel Events button at the bottom of the page."
>>> However, it has been an hour and doesn't appear to have done anything
>>> that I can see; because, if I refresh the page it still shows the
>>> same number of items selected. How do I know when it is completed as
>>> there is no button for me to click to actually start the process?
>>> Thanks!
>
>>> P.S. If I click on one of the updates it says:
>>>
>>> "This action will be executed after 2013-04-29 09:40:58 PDT.
>>> This action's status is: queued.
>>> This action has not yet been picked up."
>>>
>>> Is there something I have to do to ensure it gets picked up?
<snip>
> I assume redhat-update (I think that's what it's called) is running. You
> could shut it down and do a yum update.
> ----------------
>  Thanks Mark. Sorry about the top posting. I hope I am posting correctly
> now, but if not please let me know.

This is fine. Think of email as a conversation in slow motion. Top posting
means that I have to go down, and buried somewhere in the mess is your
last message for me to refer to.

> I went in and stopped the redhat update like you mentioned and then tried
> the yum update on the server, but it tells me there are no packages marked
> for update.

There's another package you want to install, if it's not already:
yum-utils, which includes yum-complete-transaction, which does just that,
if the previous one was killed for any reason.

> Here is an example of some of the events listed for me to do (there are
> 116):
<snip>
> BTW, are you the funny and nice Mark that was responding to my earlier

Thank you, thank you....

> problem last week with having started these updates then stopped them
> mid-stream when some of our professors could not ssh to the webserver
> using Expression Web software via SFTP?
<snip>
> Our Network Administrator suggested that my problem with the SSH / SFTP
> Expression Web Websever access was due to there being different versions
> on the system now because of the updates. He said I needed to check the
> versions of both and may need to uninstall SSH, compile a version from
> source that will work with SFTP.

No. Not under any circumstances. What kind of admin is he, Windows?
Because that is absolutely the WRONG answer. You can check yourself - run
rpm -qa | grep ssh
then
rpm -qi openssh-clients

If they're the same, you're fine. If there's a discrepency, it still
shouldn't break it... esp. since EVERYONE BUT those two are just fine.

> All that is greek to me. He said he manually created what had been setup
> for the SSH / SFTP that was running well before I did some of those
> updates.
>
> I put in the command:  ssh -v          and got the version of SSH  (Open
> SSH_4.3p2, OpenSSH 0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 01 Jul 2008)
> But I cannot find a way to check the sftp version to compare.

If he installed those *without* using yum, he's wrong, unless there's an
overriding reason. For now, we have our own ssh package, but that's *only*
because this is a US federal gov't agency, and we *have* to use PIV/smart
cards for some cases. Otherwise... use the rpm commands I mentioned,
above, and see if they're installed. If not yuse yum, er, use yum <g> to
install them both. then turn down what was available, and turn up the
newly-installed ones. They'll work out of the box.

     mark