P.S. - RE: [redhat-list] updates pending question

Constance Morris cmorris at daltonstate.edu
Fri May 10 13:27:20 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Alfred Hovdestad
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:35 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: P.S. - RE: [redhat-list] updates pending question

On 09/05/13 02:15 PM, Constance Morris wrote:

> If so, I have finished the 506 updates that redhat showed were needed. But then noticed today that 116 showing failed had been placed in the Events history section on the red hat customer portal website for my registered server. Since my problem with clients still not being able to SSH via SFTP in Expression Web still exists after finishing the updates - I wanted to get these 116 done to see if that would fix the problem. But I can't seem to get them to run.
>
> Our Network Administrator suggested that my problem with the SSH / SFTP Expression Web Websever access was due to there being different versions on the system now because of the updates. He said I needed to check the versions of both and may need to uninstall SSH, compile a version from source that will work with SFTP.
>
> All that is greek to me. He said he manually created what had been setup for the SSH / SFTP that was running well before I did some of those updates.
>
> I put in the command:  ssh -v          and got the version of SSH  (Open SSH_4.3p2, OpenSSH 0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 01 Jul 2008)
> But I cannot find a way to check the sftp version to compare.
>
> Any suggestions - web links, you can think of to pass on to help me?
>
> Thank you!
> Constance

There are several things that you can try.  From the command line, enter:

yum clean all
yum update

To see if any updates are still pending.  Next check the package that the sftp command belongs to:

which sftp
rpm -qf /usr/bin/sftp
rpm -qf /usr/bin/ssh

They should belong to the same package.

--
Alfred Hovdestad
University of Saskatchewan

Hi Mr. Hovdestad,

Yum update shows me there are no packages marked for update.
Yes, the locations are the same for sftp and ssh, but not sshd.
Not sure if that makes a difference with the sshd not being in a similar path location as the other two.
But they all 3 are showing to belong to the same package.

Constance