[redhat-list] updates pending question, is, sftp problems

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri May 10 14:50:24 UTC 2013

Constance   Morris wrote:
> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of m.roth at 5-cent.us
> Constance   Morris wrote:
>> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of m.roth at 5-cent.us
>> Constance   Morris wrote:
> <snip>
>>> problem last week with having started these updates then stopped them
>>> mid-stream when some of our professors could not ssh to the webserver
>>> using Expression Web software via SFTP?
>> <snip>
>>> Our Network Administrator suggested that my problem with the SSH /
>>> SFTP Expression Web Websever access was due to there being different
>>> versions on the system now because of the updates. He said I needed
>>> to check the versions of both and may need to uninstall SSH, compile
>>> a version from source that will work with SFTP.
>>
>> No. Not under any circumstances. What kind of admin is he, Windows?
>> Because that is absolutely the WRONG answer. You can check yourself -
>> run rpm -qa | grep ssh then rpm -qi openssh-clients
> <snip>
>> Those rpm commands (rpm -qa | grep ssh   and rpm -qi openssh-clients)
>> did produce the information I needed and all are the same:
>>
>> Openssh-clients-4.3p2-82.e15
>> Openssh-4 .3p2-82.e15
>> Openssh-server-4.3p2-82.e15
>>
> You'll note they all match. There's no incompatibilities.
<snip>
>> The weird thing is that two of them get the same login error message
>> and a third gets something different.
>> Here are the errors:
>> "FTP Error...Cannot open remote folder pac-2013/ Access Denied."
>> And the other login error:
>> "There is no site name "whatever the home directory location is for
>> the user".
>
> The latter tells me that this user does not have it configured, and I
> assume, possibly wrongly, that one of youse guys needs to go into wherever
> you manage users and set it up for him. It also leads me to suspect that
> the other two users are misconfigured.
>
> Yup. I just googled on Web Expression configure sftp, and found this link:
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc295154%28v=expression.30%29.aspx>
> Someone needs to go there and check those three users' configurations.

> I forgot to mention yesterday that when I ram the 'rpm -qi
> openssh-clients' command that though it gave me the same version and
> release information as the other command (rpm -qa | grep ssh) - it also
> mentioned an install date of April 29 2013.
> That was the date I had re-registered the server with red hat and let it
> start those errata updates automatically and then stopped them when told
> by a fellow co-worker that wasn't a good idea. Which is also the day that
> the professor starting not being able to login to expression web 4 in
> order to access their website on the server for updating.
> Could that mean that I overrode a previous install date?

Ok, there's one answer: yum reinstall openssh\*. which will reinstall fully.

> I checked out the link you gave me (thank you!), but the person has to be
> logged into Expression Web in order to access the connection settings. I
> logged in as myself and followed the instructions just to see if it would
> let me create the connection for someone else, but it didn't work.

Hmmm... I just googled Expression Web, and found the wikipedia entry, and
see that it's client-only, that there's no setup on the server side, which
is what I was thinking there was. Is this stuff installed on each user's
machine? If so, I think someone (you? the other guy?) needs to go over to
the three people, and go through their configuration of the tool.

Btw, I find interesting that it was code named quartz... since there was a
free, and running under Linux, web design package named quartz 10 or 12
years ago, which leads to the question of whether M$ stole it.

> May I impose upon you one more time?
> My 2 predecessors left me two different commands in setting up new users
> and their directories on the server for expression web access. I'm going
> to list both and do you mind looking over them and giving me your opinion?
> I've used both to create test users and directories to try and resolve
> this login issue for expression web, but neither are working for me, so
> I'm either doing something wrong or missing something.
>
> 1.) useradd -d /var/www/html/faculty-staff -s
> /opt/openssh/libexec/sftp-server -g sftp -G www,faculty-staff username
>
> * Now, I know you or Robert mentioned last time that it should really be
> /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server instead of the /opt/openssh/libexec....
>
> 2.) useradd -m -k /var/www/userSkel -G faculty-staff,www -g sftp -s
> /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server -d /var/www/html/faculty-staff/username
> And then the next command:   cp -ir /var/www/userSkel/*
> /var/www/html/faculty-staff/username

Constance, *do* read man useradd. That will show you that the latter, in
your case, is probably better, since *if* /var/www/userSkel is populated
correctly, this will set up your users' home directories with the
necessary configuration files, like .bash_profile, .bashrc, and presumably
the ~user/.ssh directory and contents. Note that it says clearly, in the
man page, for the -k flag, that it does everything that the cp does, and
better.

Oh, and IIRC, you're new to Linux and/or sysadmin, so remember that you
can also man man.... (read the manpage for man) <g>

       mark