P.S. - RE: [redhat-list] updates pending question

Constance Morris cmorris at daltonstate.edu
Fri May 10 20:12:48 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of m.roth at 5-cent.us
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 3:20 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: RE: P.S. - RE: [redhat-list] updates pending question

Constance   Morris wrote:
> [...]

>> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of m.roth at 5-cent.us
>> Constance   Morris wrote:
>>> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of m.roth at 5-cent.us
>>>>>
>> <snip>

>>> <snip>
>>> AAAARRRRGHGHGHGHGHGHGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>
>>> Ok, a *whole* new problem, which maybe throws everything else out
>>> the window.
>>>
>>> Look at their home directories again, but this time do ll -Z
>>> /var/www/whatever. Betcha they're something like unconfined_t, or
>>> default_t, or maybe even not labeled. Check /var/log/messages for
>>> sealert messages. And if you *don't* have any, then you need to see
>>> if
>>> setroubleshoot\* is installed. If not, install them (server and
>>> plugins), and make sure auditd is on. Then you'll see complaints.
>>> Run what's in messages, which will be of the form "setroubleshoot:
>>> SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/updatedb from read access on the
>>> directory /public/apps/.gem. For complete SELinux messages. run
>>> sealert -l 20085a91-0ea5-4794-a7c8-b6e975c27ed4". Run the sealert,
>>> and *maybe* the message will be helpful. It's sometimes only barely,
>>> to me, and I've been fighting to shut selinux up in the logs for
>>> years now.
>>>
>>> If you thought *Nix sysadmin was complicated, wait till you begin to
>>> look at selinux (which, btw, was written by the NSA, for real).
>>>
>>> It shows the following:
>>> user_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0
>>
>> Ok, that *should* work.
>>>
>>> so no unconfined_t or default_t
>>>
>>> There is no 'sealert' messages inside the message log.
>>>
>>> 'setroubleshoot' is not installed. It says there are 23 packages to
>>> install if I install it....if that okay?
>>> I don't want to cause any additional problems on the system right now.
>>
>> Install it, last week if not sooner. If you've got selinux enabled,
>> and you don't have that, you're asking for a world of hurt, things
>> like random denials or failures with no idea why.
>>
>> Are there entries in /var/log/audit/audit.log? Is auditd running?
>
>> P.S. I went back over what you said and ran the:  run sealert -l
>> 20085a91-0ea5-4794-a7c8-b6e975c27ed4
>> And got " failed to connect to server: No such file or directory"
>> If I run just 'sealert' - I get: could not attach to desktop process
>
> Ok... several questions: first, you didn't copy *mine*, did you? You
> got one out of your /var/log/messages? Second, you ran it from a
> command line, on the machine, correct? <looks at the manpage> Ok, I
> guess you can run it from the GUI, but if you're not on the console,
> you have to have X forwarding enabled in sshd, and then log in from a
> system running X with ssh -X or ssh -Y.
>
> I do most of what I do, as do most sysadmins I know, from the command
> line.
>
> Mark,
> You want a good laugh.....I did copy yours. Oops.
> I do not see any sealert info in the messages log. Do I need to run or

Nope. If auditd is running, that's all you need. If you see no sealerts in /var/log/messages, or AVCs in /var/log/audit/audit.log, be happy. The messages are for specific AVCs on *your* system, they're not generic.

> There is no GUI for this server - it's all command line.
> X11Forwarding is showing 'yes' in the sshd_config file.
> What is ssh -X or ssh -Y......would a system running X be like putty?

I don't think so. I think you need something like Citrix, or the mks toolkit, or something like that, if you're on WinDoze.

     mark

Mark,

I do get AVC messages in the audit.log file  :
type=AVC msg=audit(1368211292.794:1593): avc:  denied  { search } for  pid=13587 comm="procmail" name="www" dev=dm-0 ino=3440923 scontext=system_u:system_r:procmail_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0 tclass=dir