Launching GUI on RHEL ?

Priyadarshini epriya2003 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 12:24:38 UTC 2013

Hi logged in to rhel 6.4 using Putty using ssh.

Installed the GNOME desktop environment, using this command:

yum groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE Desktop"

Now, followed steps below:

   1. Run the following command to edit the /etc/inittab file:

   vi /etc/inittab

   2. Press the *I* key to enter insert mode.
   3. Find the line that includes the text initdefault. Change the numeral 3
    to 5.
   4. Type :wq and press the *Enter* key to save the file and exit the
*vi* text
   editor.

   Reboot the system using the reboot command. Your system will restart and
   present a graphical login

The problem is after reboot, grapghical login is not displayed.
I tried running command vncserver got output:

New 'z3-9-5-126-154:2 (root)' desktop is z3-9-5-126-154:2

Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /root/.vnc/z3-9-5-126-154:2.log

now, from windows laptop, I am trying to connect using vnc viewer but not
able to connect.

Please help me how to launch GUI mode.