System only boots to read-only

Doll, Margaret Ann margaret_doll at brown.edu
Wed Oct 16 16:48:31 UTC 2013

The information that comes across the screen as it boots:

/dev/sda3:  clean
/dev/sda5:  clean
Starting udev:
Setting hostname
Setting up Logical Volume Management:  2 logical volume(s) in volume group
"VolGroup00" now active

Checking filesystems
/dev/mapper/VolBroup00-LogVol00:  clean
/dev/sdb1:  clean
/dev/sde1 is mounted.
e2fsck:  Cannot continue, aborting.

/dev/sda3: clean
/dev/sda6: clean
                                  FAILED
***  An error occurred during the file system check...
***  Dropping you to a shell....