System only boots to read-only

Doll, Margaret Ann margaret_doll at brown.edu
Wed Oct 16 16:53:00 UTC 2013

Thanks,  Mark.  I will try the fsck -c from the rescue disk.

There is nothing wrong with the rescue disk.  I hae two identical systems,
side-by-side.
I had to use the rescue disk on the second system to change the inittab
entry to 1.  I needed to update the NVIDIA driver on the second system.
chroot appeared on that system.

chroot did not appear on the first system because the system said something
like it couldn't find all the system partitions.