specify SMTP relay server in mutt

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Jul 15 16:58:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:35:19AM +0800, Sunhux G wrote:
> I have got the firewall rule permitted from our RHEL 5.x &
> RHEL 6.x servers to our SMTP relay server (it's running
> RHEL 5.8).
>
> In the past, I recall I have a server that I could just issue
> mutt command below & it will send email out via that
> relay server :
> mutt -s "Test mail" -a /tmp/file.tar.gz abcde at nixcraft.co.in <
> /tmp/mailmessage.txt
>

> Now all my servers (at another site) can't send email out.
> Did I need to set something at this site's server or is
> there any way that I could specify the SMTP relay server
> in the mutt command?  In Windows, blat & sendemail
> allows me to specify the SMTP relay server.

Assuming you've got sendmail installed, and are using the default sendmail.cf,
become root, then:

cd /etc/mail
vi sendmail.cf

search for a line beginning with "DS", with a comment above it reading:
	"Smart" relay host (may be null)
and change the line that reads just "DS" to read "DSyoursmarthost.foo"
or whatever the FQDN is of your smart relay host. there is NOT a space
between the "DS" and the FQDN.

you'll probably need to restart the sendmail service afterward.

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.