KVM-Qemu could not open disk image - [SOLVED]

Aaron Siegel admin at siegel-tech.net
Wed Jul 16 15:29:12 UTC 2014

Hello

The problem is related to the permission on my zfs partitions. I was
able to create a working virtual machine on the /tmp file system witch
was a LVM partition.  All attempts to create a virtual machine on a zfs
filesystem produced the following error.

   "could not open diskimage /var/lib/libvirt/images/test.img:
    Could not open file: Invalid argument

The problem has not been solved but the discussion will be moved to a
different mailing list. The resolution for now will be to move all
virtual machines from a zfs filesystem. It makes sense there is no
advantage to using zfs for storing virtual machine and LVM is better
supported. The solution may be found in the how the zfs has been
integrated into Linux a problem with selinux or setting permission on
zfs filesystem. This issue may be related to qemu and zfs. The
discussion will be moved to a zfs mailing list after I perform some
research.

Thank you Ron de Kuijer for your contribution.

Aaron