Question about scheduled channel synchronization in Red Hat Satellite

Lucas, Brandon Brandon.Lucas at sscgp.com
Wed Jul 16 22:42:02 UTC 2014

Hey everybody -

I have what seems like a silly question but I can't find any documentation on it.  I recently built a new Red Hat Satellite server and it's the first one I have built for my organization.  I was able to successfully subscribe to the channel RHEL Server Optional (v.6 64-bit x86_64) in order to grab errata for our servers running this OS.  I was able to successfully synchronize this channel.  Then, when attaching clients to this satellite server, they are able to properly compare errata and patch against this channel.  Here is where the problem begins:

For one, it appears that the channel is not synchronizing from the satellite server to Red Hat on a regular basis.  I have to force it to sync manually using "satellite-sync -c  rhel-x86_64-server-optional-6".  How can this be scheduled?

Secondly, it appears my clients are also not synchronizing on a schedule with the Red Hat server.  How do I schedule this or what is the expected behavior?

Brandon Lucas | Systems Administrator | Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline