Question about scheduled channel synchronization in Red Hat Satellite

Fran Garcia franchu.garcia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 03:43:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 12:42 AM, Lucas, Brandon wrote:

> Hey everybody -
>
> I have what seems like a silly question but I can't find any documentation on it.  I recently built a new Red Hat Satellite server and it's the first one I have built for my organization.  I was able to successfully subscribe to the channel RHEL Server Optional (v.6 64-bit x86_64) in order to grab errata for our servers running this OS.  I was able to successfully synchronize this channel.  Then, when attaching clients to this satellite server, they are able to properly compare errata and patch against this channel.  Here is where the problem begins:
>
> For one, it appears that the channel is not synchronizing from the satellite server to Red Hat on a regular basis.  I have to force it to sync manually using "satellite-sync -c  rhel-x86_64-server-optional-6".  How can this be scheduled?

Via cron, of course. The documentation suggest that you should launch
a satellite-sync periodically to retrieve newly-released packages:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Satellite/5.6/html-single/User_Guide/index.html#chap-Red_Hat_Satellite-User_Guide-Automatically_Synchronizing_the_Red_Hat_Satellite_Server_Repository

> Secondly, it appears my clients are also not synchronizing on a schedule with the Red Hat server.  How do I schedule this or what is the expected behavior?

This is expected behaviour. You need to choose how often you patch
your systems and how (via logging into them, then doing a "yum
upgrade") or pushing updates from the satellite. There is also an
"auto-update" feature that can be enabled per-host on the Satellite
web UI.

You might also want to subscribe to the specific Satellite list here: