Off-topic: lynx browser to display Unicode text

Yong Huang yong321 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 19:03:12 UTC 2014

Suppose I launch Putty to connect to a Linux box and run lynx, the text-based web browser. On a page with Unicode text, such as the language names under the "Languages" heading of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29

how do I configure lynx to display the text correctly? I set lynx option (press o) "Display character set" to "UNICODE (UTF-8)", "Assumed document character set" to "utf-8", and saved the setting. I also tried various fonts inside Putty and Translation to either UTF-8 or "Use font encoding". None worked. If either lynx or Putty is not a good choice, is there a way to show Unicode text of a web page in any text-based web browser? Thanks.