Re: "Failed to start Apply Kernel Variable" after converting the root filesystem from XFS to EXT4

On 05/08/2015 19:01, Nicolas C. wrote:
Hello,

A had a RHEL7 VMware template with the root filesystem in XFS. I tried
to copy the system to an EXT4 partition but now I have the message
during boot : "Failed to start Apply Kernel Variable"

http://i.imgur.com/atEjCuO.png

This is how I've proceeded :

  - boot on LiveCD

  - copy from the XFS partition to EXT4

  - chroot

  - initramfs rebuild with "dracut"

  - re-generation of "grub.cfg" with "grub2-mkconfig"

  - /etc/fstab update to change the filesystem of "/" from "xfs" to "ext4"

A few things :

  - /boot partition is ext4 on its own 1G drive

  - / partition is a LVM Logical Volume, the Physical Volume is a
dedicated drive of 16G

Anyone know how I can get further? I can boot the system in single mode
or LiveCD... I try to remove all kernel options in the Grub menu, no
success...

Solved by restoring the template with the XFS root filesystem and doing the same procedure but copying the system with "tar" instead of "mv".

I don't know what went wrong the first time but now it works.