Old release (6.2) install + preventing "yum update"

Nicolas C. rh at nryc.fr
Sat Mar 28 12:07:27 UTC 2015

Hello,

I need to deploy 6 new RHEL servers and they all need to be in version
6.2. I can easily make a minimal install from the 6.2 DVD but how can I
prevent a "yum update" that would upgrade in the most current version
and allow "yum install" of 6.2 packages at the same time ?

I'm thinking of :

  - making a minimal install
  - registering the server on RHN
  - copying the 6.2 DVD content and making it available on a internal
website (local repository)
  - making a .repo file pointing to the local repository

In this scenario :

  - Will a "yum install <package>" command install the version from the
6.2 local repository or RHN ?

  - What would a "yum update" command do ?

I am aware of EUS but v6.2 isn't maintained in EUS anymore.

Thanks,

Nicolas