to disable IPv6 on Fedora 21.

amiteshsahay at aol.com amiteshsahay at aol.com
Fri May 15 10:54:38 UTC 2015

Hello Members,

Greetings!!

I understand this is a redhat forum, but I have query on fedora. Since both are sister concern, so I hope my query would be valid. Please excuse if its inappropriate.

Hi,
I am new to Fedora-server21, and its been 3 days that I am not able to start working on it. I have installed fedora21 in Oracle virtualBox, and my host machine is Win 7. The installation went smoothly with no hiccups, but I am not able to see IPv4 on my fedora at all, I have followed many online post to disable it, but I couldn't. I did try some suggestion from
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/ques...
But I don't think its helping me by any means. In the above link, there is another link that guide to some check up on the system for IPv6
http://www.g-loaded.eu/2008/05/12/how...
It ask to execute   lsmod | grep ipv6, and see if it show only "ipv6". I did, but I get below
nf_conntrack_ipv6nf_defrag_ipv6nf_natnf_conntracknf_nat_ipv4,nf_nat_ipv6,ip6tables_nat
and some other menu items similar, but single "ipv6". The link do suggest to blacklist the IPv6 in some file under /etc/modprobe.d
In my machine I could see two files lying under the location
a) lockd.confb) openfwwf.conf

there is no mention of any specific file name to be edited in the link.

Can somebody help me out to disable Ipv6, and enable IPv4, I need to communicate with my host machine (win 7) to share files to and fro, which I do not think is possible without IPv4 given my situation.
I am more used to redhat 5x, and redhat6x, where I do not see such issues of IPv6 at all. Also a very interesting observation in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts path. It has ifcfg-enp0s3, and ifcfg-lo, there is no eth(n) . Is this is something new in fedora21, or its something having to do just with my machine? the content of  ifcfg-enp0s3 is very new to me, which I haven't experienced while working with redhat.I need suggestion desperately, as my testings are pending.

Regards,
Amitesh