Purpose of /var/lib/rpm/log/log.XXXX file

S Sai Krishna Prasad saikripd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 15:17:03 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I would like to know what is the use of log.XXXX file that is present in
the directory /var/lib/rpm/log/. I saw that when I rebuild the rpm database
using the command "rpm --rebuilddb" a new file is created and the older one
is removed but the size of the file remains the same. I would like to know
why it is present, what it stores and is there any way we can reduce the
size of the file to like 1MB. Currently the size of the file is exactly
10MB.

Regards and Thanks in Advance,
Sai Krishna