Installing R on RHEL7

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Jul 17 22:54:39 UTC 2017

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017, Larry Martell wrote:

> I am trying to install R on RHEL7. It fails with a lot of messages of
> this form about different packages:

R is in the EPEL (7) adjunct archive

[herrold at centos-7 ~]$ sudo su -
[sudo] password for herrold:
Last login: Mon Jul 17 18:04:09 EDT 2017 on tty1
[root at centos-7 ~]# yum install R
Package R-3.4.0-2.el7.x86_64 already installed and latest  version

#	so I uninstall it
[root at centos-7 ~]# rpm -e R
[root at centos-7 ~]# yum install R
 Package       Arch               Version
Repository        Size
Installing:
 R             x86_64             3.4.0-2.el7             epel
27 k

you may need to enable the epel repository ... as I run
binaries from the CentOS sources rebuild project,
rather than RHEL from Red Hat, I do not know the package name
to do that -- but see:

	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

see particularly the: NOTE for RHN users

-- Russ herrold