Installing R on RHEL7

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jul 18 17:07:31 UTC 2017

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017, Larry Martell wrote:

> Are you running the CentOS binaries on RHEL7? If so, can you share
> with me how you do that?

There was a long thread just this morning on something similar
to this on the epel-devel mailing list -- two well trusted
'old hands' were guiding a relatively newer admin [not that
Claessen, Paul is all that new -- he had been active for years
and years, and was just trying to solve a complex deployment
issue]:  Manuel Wolfshant and Stephen J Smoogen (/me waves to
them ...) fwiw, I am sort of an old hand in this space as well

This is your RHEL install, and the actions taken by you as
root will change that unit away from stock RHEL (adding EPEL)

I strongly urge you to read:
	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

and to join the mailing list at:
	https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/epel-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/SMZRTZGFDKVKA2FEZE5WOVDC553WJ3MF/

which is the thread I mentioned

Basically just run as root -- and per the link I pointed you
to, also enabling the RHEL extras archive ... PLEASE read
that fine wiki page:

	rpm -Uvh \
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm

and as needed 'enabling' in yum that archive, and then doing
the install as I showed in the earlier email in this thread

I am not being coy here, but rather cautious.  I DONT HAVE and
probably will never buy a license for RHEL for open source
politics reasons out of scope here, so I have not done the
exact task you seek to do, lacking a copy of the binary RHEL

-- Russ herrold