redhat-list Digest, Vol 145, Issue 1

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 17:52:02 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:20 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2017, Larry Martell wrote:
>
>> Looks like it's 7.10 now, so I did:
>>
>> wget http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/7/x86_64/e/epel-release-7-10.noarch.rpm
>>
>> which worked, followed by
>>
>> sudo rpm -ivh epel-release-7-10.noarch.rpm
>> sudo yum install R
>>
>> which failed with:
>
> 1.  please trim

Sorry, will do in the future.

> 2.  please, please, please read the EPEL wiki page to which I
> pointed you yesterday, and that particular section I mentioned
> which explains the issue you are hiting as to RHEL archives
> not normally enabled by default

Yes, I read that and it says I need rhel-7-server-optional-rpms and
rhel-7-server-extras-rpms, but as I posted yesterday I have not been
able to get these. I googled and I found that I needed to run:

subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-optional-rpms

and that said:

This system has no repositories available through subscriptions.

I did some local research and I found that the update service has
expired, and they are not sure if they want to pay to renew it or not.
Is that the only way to get it? Can I just download it as I did with
epel-release-7-10.noarch.rpm? That's why I was asking you in the other
thread about the CentOS binaries you said you use.

Thanks!