[redhat-lspp] Suggestions for contributed tests

Kris Wilson krisw at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 20 16:56:22 UTC 2005

According to notes from a previous meeting, I was to post suggestions
to the list for testcases to be donated by developers.  I understand
everyone has plenty of development work to keep them busy; the following
are suggestions if you can possibly contribute - we will appreciate
whatever
help we can get.  Thanks!

Mimimum:
---------------
o Unit test testcases
  - Preferably automated

Better:
-----------
o Automated FVT testcases, preferably C or bash which can be easily
  worked into the LTP framework.  Python may be used although LTP does not
  install it by default.

o A prologue containing:

  - Appropriate company copyright
  - GNU GPL License text
  - A description of the intent of the test and how it achieves this (Test
    Assertions and Strategy)

o Descriptive comments where they would be helpful to new testers.
o Automated verification of results, not manual.
o Success and error cases.
o Tests should leave the system as they found it  (clean up).

Even better:
----------------
o The intent is to gather these tests and port them to run in the LTP
framework,
  the vehicle for open sourcing testcases.  If developers are willing to
write
  tests already enabled for the LTP framework, that would be a plus.

o Use of the following header to add consistency across tests:

/*
 * Copywrite Statement goes here
 * License info goes here

 * File:
 *
 * Test Name:
 *
 * Test Decription:
 *
 * Total Assertions:
 *
 * Test Assertions & Strategy:
 *
 * Prerequisites:
 *
 * Usage:
 *

 *
 * History: [most recent at the top]
 *
 * DATE  NAME  DESCRIPTION
 * MM/DD/YYYY email at address.com Created this testcase ....
 *

*****************************************************************************/

o Use of setup and cleanup functions:

    void testcase_setup();
    void testcase_cleanup();

o Description before the code for each assertion:

   /* Test 1: description */

Some suggestions:
----------------------------
o Limits - maximum, minimum, 1 over, 1 under
o Parameters - valid, invalid
o Errors of omission - When a condition exists, when it does not (else)
o  Loop coverage - 0 loops, one loop, many loops
o Search testing - element not found, found once, found multiple times,
    found in last position
o Signal handling

Kris Wilson
IBM Linux Technology Center