[redhat-lspp] untrusted printing formats

Knoke, Jim (US SSA) jim.knoke at baesystems.com
Mon Apr 17 11:42:21 UTC 2006

When getting BAE Systems XTS-400 system ready for TCSEC B3 (its now
EAL5) evaluation, this was a big issue. PostScript was viewed as being
too complicated, with all the ways you could embed commands for the
printer. We settled on PCL5 and having the TSF recognize and strip away
embedded control sequences. We also had to perform a security analysis
of the printer hardware to convince the evaluators that it would not
recognize special, malicious sequences and do something like save part
of a page and output it later inside a downgraded job.

However EAL4 isn't usually as stringent as B3 was, and with a lot of
expertise maybe you could show that a PostScript
converter/generator/filter would effectively take all the potentially
dangerous printer commands out. I'm curious if there is guidance from
NIAP on these issues. I'm also not sure if you are trying to position
Linux for a future EAL5, where presumably the vulnerability analysis
would be more stringent. Unfortunately I'm not an expert in this printer
stuff and don't know much about the other formats.