[redhat-lspp] Comments on Pam-Namspace

Janak Desai janak at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 23 22:13:26 UTC 2006

Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> Janak Desai wrote:
>
>> Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>>
>>> I now have pam_namespace working with MLS policy, for the /tmp and
>>> /var/tmp directory
>>>
>>> We need to change the namespace.conf file to be
>>>
>>> /tmp /tmp/.inst-$USER-   both root,adm
>>> /var/tmp/.inst-$USER-   both root,adm
>>> #$HOME $HOME/.inst-      context
>>>
>>> Why have the first two commented out?  I think you put pam_namespace
>>> in the /etc/pam.d file you get /tmp and /var/tmp automatically.
>>>
>> Ok, I will change the conf file accordingly.
>>
>>> Also by default for the instance directory should be a subdirectory
>>> of the parent.
>>

>> Agreed. I will update the config file and the README appropriately.
>>

>>> As far as the polyinstantiation of the home dir.  Shouldn't this
>>> only happen on none SystemLow contexts?
>>>
>>> I turned it on and my homedir disappeared which seems strange.
>>>
>> This is under the control of the policy. The namespace module calls
>> security_compute_member library
>> function and expects the policy to return appropriate member
>> directory context. This member directory
>> context is then used for instance directory.
>
> But how do we in policy tell it to do nothing?

The current implementation always creates an instance directory, even if
the context returned by the
security_compute_member() returns the same context as that of the
directory to polyinstantiate. By "do
nothing" do you mean that we should not create an instance if the
security_compute_member() returns
the same context as the directory to polyinstantiate? It makes sense to
add that optimization. I will add
that to my list of things to do.

-Janak