[redhat-lspp] Re: [RFC] [MLSXFRM 00/04] Granular IPSec associ ations for use in MLS environments

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Jun 15 20:26:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 16:12 -0400, Chad Hanson wrote:
> If you are wanting to use the CIPSO/NetLabel, why would you desire to use
> labeled IPSEC? Why not just use regular IPSEC along with CIPSO/NetLabel.

You could establish ranges on the SAs and limit the CIPSO traffic on
that SA to being within that range.

> I did see your post on NetLabel where you stated you would be inclined
> to check if the CIPSO label is consistent with the IPSEC SA.
>
> So the MLS labeling could look as follows for a packet:
>
> SECMARK: SystemLow-SystemHigh
> IPSEC:   Unclass-Secret
> CIPSO/NetLabel: Secret
>
> >From this, if you are willing to check the CIPSO consistency with IPSEC,
> IMHO it makes even more sense to check the IPSEC consistency with SECMARK.
> Or if no labeled IPSEC, check CIPSO directly against SECMARK. These
> consistency checks are what I desire in a routing configuration
> for forwarded traffic.
>
> IMHO, both labeled IPSEC and CIPSO at the same time seems to be a
> little overkill.
>
> Currently, we have a product architecture where labeled packets
> arrive on a ranged interface and then are forwarded without labels onto an
> approriate unlabeled network. We would like a consistency check that
> verifies the packet should be allowed to leave the interface based on
> the transmitted label.
>
> This routing ability is the main driver behind our desire to check the
> packet label against the iptables label for consistency on outbound
> traffic.

So, what is the obstacle to implementing such a permission check?  As
long as you are just using the secmark and not reviving the use of
node/netif/port SIDs, I don't see a problem there.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency