[redhat-lspp] LSPP Development Telecon 06/19/2006 Minutes

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 21 17:19:48 UTC 2006

Quoting Ted (txtoth at gmail.com):
> Can anyone point me to a good source of information on namespaces in
> general and network namespaces specifically. Are network namespaces
> something that could be utilized through xinetd to get polyinstantiated
> port functionality?

Hmm.  Network namespaces are still under development, with three
competing implementations...  These are namespaces at either the
network device or address level, but still might be useful for
polyinstantiated ports.  Instead of 'open a port at this type+level',
xinetd would need to do

	unshare(net_ns)
	create new eth0, set address
	open a port...

The ability for multiple namespaces on one machine to share a
network address is AIUI going to be supported, so the above
should be possible.

People who I believe are working on implementations are cc'd, and a
link to the middle of a relevant thread is:
	http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/6/16/24

-serge