[redhat-lspp] RHEL5 10/27 + KS -- Run_init is locking user account

Klaus Weidner klaus at atsec.com
Sat Nov 11 18:11:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 03:28:27PM -0200, Eduardo Madeira Fleury wrote:
> Using RHEL5 Server 10/27 refresh installed with the KS script v0.9 I figured
> out that executing run_init always increment the pam_tally2 failure count for
> the user in question, which means one day or another the user's account gets
> locked, currently this happens after 6 successfull run_init calls.
[...]
> # pam_tally2 --user tux
> # run_init service
> Type in the correct password, you should see run_init usage string.
> # pam_tally2 --user tux
>
> ... shows 1 failure. And, if you repeat the run_init command 5 or 6 times the
> tux account will be locked and then you must unlock it using

I can reproduce this using the latest milestone and ks script, and
turning off enforcing mode doesn't make a difference (so it's not a
permission problem).

It looks as if run_init is not executing the "session" PAM path. It's
configured in /etc/pam.d/run_init to use the system-auth path which would
reset the tally count on successful login, but that never happens.

To confirm this, I added the line "session requisite pam_deny.so" as the
first "session" rule in /etc/pam.d/run_init, and run_init still executes
the session (for example, try "run_init date"). (By contrast, adding
"auth requisite pam_deny.so" as the first rule makes run_init always fail
the authentication as expected.)

I think this qualifies as a bug - when you report it, please include the
contents of /etc/pam.d/system-auth and /etc/pam.d/run_init.

-Klaus