[redhat-lspp] turning on quota under the MLS strict policy

Thiago Jung Bauermann bauerman at br.ibm.com
Fri Oct 20 19:34:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 15:23 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:14:23 -0300, Thiago Jung Bauermann said:
> > So, does anyone have a tip about this?
> Admittedly mostly shooting in the dark here..

No problem!

> > > scontext=staff_u:sysadm_r:quota_t:s0-s15:c0.c255
> > > tcontext=root:object_r:root_t:s0 tclass=filesystem
> What happens if you're running as sysadm_t or similar instead of root_t?
> This looks like SELinux "working as designed" - it stopped a root process
> that was in the wrong context from doing something it wasn't allowed to do.

Actually, root_t is the type of the filesystem. I used it imagining the
policy would allow quota to be turned on on /. I also tried mounting the
filesystem as tmp_t, to no avail.

The process's type is quota_t, which sounds like a reasonable type for
the quotacheck utility.

> Does 'newrole -r sysadm_r' improve things?

Yup, that's what I'm using.
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann