WINDOWS TO LINUX migration .howto?

Bowen, III, Clint cbowen at barton.edu
Tue Dec 14 18:55:56 UTC 2004

> Date: 14 Dec 2004 12:56:20 -0000
> From: "pradeep  kumar" <pratheep_inn at rediffmail.com>
> Subject: WINDOWS TO LINUX migration .howto?
> To: redhat-migration-list at redhat.com
>

> Hi ALL,
>
>       Can anyone tell me how to migrate from windows to linux.
> Like migrating MS Exchange ...etc

That's a huge question, and while I don't have a howto written up, we
are currently in the midst of such a migration.  I'll be happy to help
with any particular questions you may have.

I began with _UNIX_and_Windows_2000_Integration_Toolkit_, by Rawn Shah,
published by Wiley, copywrite 2000.  The information is a little dated
now, but it does present a good introductory overview of some of the
obstacles to be crossed.  The biggest challenge we have faced so far is
authentication.  We currently run MS Services for Unix 3.5, which MS now
gives away.  I've got a NIS server running on an AD controller
publishing AD data, with my Linux servers running as NIS clients.  Not
the smoothest implementation, but it does work and it was fairly trivial
to set up.  We are just beginning to evaluate a replacement for our
Exchange 2000 server.  Except for roaming profiles (just haven't got the
disk space available on Linux yet) all file shares are now Samba shares
on RHEL 3.0.  We're beginning to move web sites to apache on Linux; the
port from .asp to .php will take many man-hours.  I expect this summer
we will replace the Windows NIS with something a little more native, but
not sure what yet, maybe LDAP.  Since our user information originally
comes to me from an AS/400, I might try to use a SQL back end.

My approach is to move a single function at a time, until everything is
moved.  I began with authentication since it is needed for most
services.  File sharing came next, followed by web services.  This
spring we will evaluate mail/calendar/etc products for a possible
summer/fall implementation.  SQL and a printing solution will follow.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Clint Bowen - RHCE, MCSE
Assistant Director of IT
Barton College