Is linux kernel 2.6.8 available for RedHat?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Oct 21 18:16:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Vitaly Khotenovsky wrote:

> Hello ,
>
>   I'm going to upgrade my RedHat Linux Release 9 (kernel 2.4.20-8) to
>   kernel 2.6.8.
>
>   Can you say:
>   1.  Is it possible to run RedHat Release 9 on kernel 2.6.8 or there may be some problems?

Anything is possible. It is just a matter of how much pain you are willing to
endure. Keep in mind that RHL 9 is no longer supported by Red Hat. Only
fedora-legacy is supporting it and even they will not do a 2.6 kernel for it.

>   2.  Is kernel, which is downloaded from linux.org, ok for RedHat or
>   it must be specially configured or something for RedHat?

You should really consider upgrading to a newer distro such as Fedora Core 2
or when available in a few weeks Fedora Core 3. They both are built to run the
2.6 series of kernels.

See http://fedora.redhat.com/ for more information.

Regards,

Tom