dhclient and dnsdomainname (hostname -d)

David Wilk davidwilk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:43:04 UTC 2005

there is much confusion on this.  First of all, domainname refers only to
the NIS domainname not the DNS domainname.  the domainname I'm trying to
affect here is for DNS and it's referred to by RH as dnsdomainname.  I've
tried altering the DOMAINNAME var in /etc/sysconfig/network and verious
permutations and have yet to make any change to dnsdomainname.  the docs
suggest that the dnsdomainname is obtained from /etc/hosts, and failing
that, from /etc/resolv.conf.

However, I cannot seem to affect any change despite what I put in
/etc/resolv.conf.  Usually, a RH server is able to determine this itself
'automagically', probably from a reverse lookup of the IP address.  However,
when the 'magic' fails, there doesn't appear to be any way to manually tweak
this dial.