Need Urgent Help - SysAdmin, Backups & Open Files

Art Wildman Art.Wildman at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 4 15:21:47 UTC 2005

Sudip Niyogi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am comparitively new to System Administration, I have been asked to
> take a backup of the /home directory using tar and burn the tarball on
> a DVD.
>
> Can somebody please tell me how should I do this? Also can I tar the
> /home when users are working on their respective home folders?
>
> Thanks,
> Sudip

I don't usually respond well to "Urgent Help" messages they look like
spam, and the RTFM/STW replies may be warranted. Hint: make your email
subject line more specific & at least try to find the answer yourself,
then post a summary of where you are stuck.

Sun Managers has a well defined policy that could be adapted to this
list. I really feel this list is important to working RH SysAdmins, and
we should allow some flexibility for any struggling Jr. SAs... so, I'll
try to be patient & point them in the right direction, digging through
my bookmark collection occasionally as many have done for me in the past.

SysAdmin, Backups & Open Files omy...
There are a number of online resources for Beginner SysAdmins try a
special search...
http://www.google.com/linux

The Linux System Administrator's Guide
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/index.html

YoLinux Tutorial: Linux System Administration
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialSysAdmin.html#TAR

Linux-Backup.net
http://www.linux-backup.net/

BackupCentral Tips
http://www.backupcentral.com/toc-free-tips.html

A Homegrown Backup Solution Utilizing RSA Keys, SSH, and tar -by Ray
Strubinger
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7033/sam0204f/sam0204f.htm

A basic tar backup will get your /home file in their current (last
saved) state, any backup is better than none. Backing up open files is
tricky & varies depending on the filesystem. There are many commercial
products that fill this niche, Amanda
<http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7033/sam0204a/sam0204a.htm> or
BackupPC <http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html> may work
for you in the meantime.

CD/DVD Archives
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html
http://www.xcdroast.org/manual/dvd.html

I suggest you also get a decent book on System Admin if you can afford
one, or at least subscribe to a magazine.
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=8964/sam0312e/0312e.htm
Bootable Restoration CDs with Mondo  -
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6808

--
Art Wildman
National Weather Service Office (WFO-JAX)

You must abandon your quest for a reasonable explanation, Grasshopper.
Enlightenment is an unwise goal where there is no light to be shed.
Simply embrace the inherent absurdity of it all.  You'll feel much
better.