init:relocation error

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 15:15:56 UTC 2005

> I've been using RedHat 7.2 for few year without any major problems. But yesterday put in the libc.so.6 and after this I couldn't run dir. Naively I rebooted the computer and now I get massage:
>
> init:relocation error: /lib/i686/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_starting_up, version GLI
> BC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>
> What should I do?
>
> BTW I also purchased RedHat Enterprise WS. Can I install this somehow and fix the problem, without deleting hard drive.

You basically have three choices at this point:

1) Boot from rescue media and reinstall the previous glibc.

2) Attempt an upgrade to a newer release of the OS over the existing install. You will want to take
care to choose the upgrade option and NOT format any of the existing partitions. This may work but is
not guranteed.

3) start clean with a new install assuming you have recent backups of your data and config files.

Before trying either 1, 2 or 3, you might want to make sure you have a backup copy of your important
data.

--
Matthew Galgoci
GIS Production Operations