dhclient and dnsdomainname (hostname -d)

David Wilk davidwilk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:24:35 UTC 2005

Howdy all,

I help administer a RHEL3 server and dhclient-script is a bit flakey and
will not always set dnsdomainname.  I'm talking about the result from
hostname -d.  I've tried setting this in /etc/resolv.conf as 'domain' and
'search' and I've tried using a FQDN in 'hostname' but nothing seems to
work.  I've grepped the filesystem for this setting and can find it
nowhere.  It appears to be a magic value somewhere with no way to influence
it directly.

any thoughts?

I would very much appreciate any thoughts, ideas, etc.

thanks,
Dave