Syslog & kernel log daemons terminates randomnly.

Brian Fahrlander Brian at Fahrlander.net
Mon Oct 17 11:24:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 16:15 +0530, Mahesh Shinde wrote:

> After restarting the syslog & klog daemons using "service syslog restart"
> command, we have observed that "minilogd" is eating up physcial memory
> space of upto 1 GB and CPU resource as high as 20%. This leads to high
> load average on server.
>
> My first question is why syslog & klog daemons stops suddenly/randomnly.
> How to solve this problem.
> Second question is what is "minilogd" & why it eats up high memory and CPU
> resources.

    Here's what I found on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=minilogd+redhat&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

    It looks like SeLinux plays a part; what mode are you in?  This is
on an "Enterprise" server; was Redhat's support unhelpful?

    Yeah, these are all surface questions, but I'm heading out the
door...

Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller