RHEL Workstation

Alan d1 at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 20 05:24:06 UTC 2005

Grant Street wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am looking at RHEL workstation accross a number of PC's but I'm
> concerned about the hardware support and maintenance of the distribution.
>
> We have two hardware requirements Nvidia Quadro graphics cards for 3D
> work and Wacom Intuos3 tablets. The problem is that to get these working
> optimally you have to compile the drivers using kernel source.

It's all about the balance between performance and admin overhead.
I normally just use the standard distribution coz this saves me from the work associated
with the upgrade of kernel or other packages (there're a lot) -- unless the hardware can't
work at all or works only at an unbearable performance level -- then probably the hardware
choice needs to be reviewed.