RAID reconstruction

Phil Bettinson phb at llgc.org.uk
Wed Dec 6 13:21:04 UTC 2006

Romeo Theriault wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2006, at 1:04 AM, Mathew Snyder wrote:
>
>> It has become necessary to reconstruct a hardware RAID from level 0 to
>> level 1.
>>  This is attached to an Intel RAID card.  If I run the reconstruction
>> will Linux
>> automatically recognize the resized partition or will I completely
>> bork things.

If you simply do it straight, I would guess that it would horribly bork
your settings... having said that..... I've managed (by accident, using
the Megaraid tools on RHEL3 64bit (don't do it, they don't work!))to
reconfigure a RAID5 array of 6 250GB disks to a RAID 1 Array, and to
find that Linux was quite happy, and even dealt with the new size. I was
a little shocked as my main server all of a sudden gained a large amount
of diskspace, but no redundancy, however.

I don't think I would ADVISE doing it straight. I think if you are going
to be using a partition that is going to be growing in size you probably
want to look at creating logical volumes, so you can grow and shrink
them. Perhaps there's another way to achieve what you need doing?

Thanks,

Phil

			Phil Bettinson

BEng, RHCT 			Beng, RHCT
Swyddog Gweinyddu Systemau	Systems Administrator

Isadran Cyfrifiaduron        	Computer Section
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru    National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, 			Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, 			Ceredigion
SY23 3BU			SY23 3BU

Ffôn / Phone: 01970 632XX    	Ffacs / Fax: 01970 615XXX
EBost / Email: NOSPAM at llgc.org.uk  We / Web: http://www.llgc.org.uk