RAID reconstruction

Phil Bettinson phb at llgc.org.uk
Wed Dec 6 15:44:29 UTC 2006

Mathew Snyder wrote:
> Phil Bettinson wrote:
>> Romeo Theriault wrote:

>> If you simply do it straight, I would guess that it would horribly bork
>> your settings... having said that..... I've managed (by accident, using
>> the Megaraid tools on RHEL3 64bit (don't do it, they don't work!))to
>> reconfigure a RAID5 array of 6 250GB disks to a RAID 1 Array, and to
>> find that Linux was quite happy, and even dealt with the new size. I was
>> a little shocked as my main server all of a sudden gained a large amount
>> of diskspace, but no redundancy, however.
>>
>> I don't think I would ADVISE doing it straight. I think if you are going
>> to be using a partition that is going to be growing in size you probably
>> want to look at creating logical volumes, so you can grow and shrink
>> them. Perhaps there's another way to achieve what you need doing?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil
>>

> As it turns out, I inadvertently went from a RAID 5 to RAID 0 and lost all of my
> redundancy.  Incidentally, I did this with the MegaMGR tool  which seems to
> function well with one exception.  There seems to be roughly 830MB of unused
> space on the logical drive.  It won't let me add a drive to the array as a
> result.  Instead, it requires me to create a second logical drive so I guess I
> won't be getting my RAID 5 back.
>
> I'm not concerned about the growth though.  The database that resides on this
> server has only only grown to a little over 6GB in size and it's roughly 3 years
> old.  My concern is redundancy.  Especially since this occurred as a result of a
> failed drive (among other things, such as me not paying attention ;) ).
>
> Mathew
>
> --

Bugger.

There wasn't really much else I could say =). The bad news is, having
had a simsilar problem, the only thing I could do was destroy the array
and start again. So, bite the bullet, blame it on the failed disk,
pleaed for some down-time (and overtime, if your lucky), backup the 6GB,
and settle down to a lot of waiting.

Perhaps move it temporarily to a new system?

Of course, there is the possibility that someone out there it netland
ahs a better answer.

Phil

			Phil Bettinson

BEng, RHCT 			Beng, RHCT
Swyddog Gweinyddu Systemau	Systems Administrator

Isadran Cyfrifiaduron        	Computer Section
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru    National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, 			Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, 			Ceredigion
SY23 3BU			SY23 3BU

Ffôn / Phone: 01970 632X  	Ffacs / Fax: 01970 615XXX
EBost / Email: NOSPAM at llgc.org.uk  We / Web: http://www.llgc.org.uk