Help CPU pegged at 96% but cannot find culprit

JB mmyymm at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:34:23 UTC 2006

How many apache processes do u have?
I had the same issue and the culprit was kernel ES (2.6.9-22.ELsmp). I am
using an old kernel 2.6.9-11.E on all my RH servers. Based on my cacti it
looks like the new kernel has a different and bad way of using swap.
Top indicated 400 Apache processes with little each ;) Now I have the same #
of processes but that amount is slightly different.
I tried with a newer kernel and was the same thing. It happen as well on a
system without HT.

JB