up2date: how does it get run?

Dave Edsall - The Tauminator edsall at iastate.edu
Thu Nov 2 21:12:54 UTC 2006

>I've been getting notices from RHN that one of my servers is failing to
>check in (and pull down updates).  When I log in to the server and run
>up2date -u, it runs just dandy and updates the system entry on RHN with
>the time it was run.

   I have seen this before on a couple of my servers.

   If you have pre-scheduled an event and it doesn't happen, or you are just
getting the message that the machine isn't checking in, check
/var/log/daemonlog. On a regular basis you should see entries such as:

   Nov  2 09:35:19 <your machine> rhnsd[9959]: running program
/usr/sbin/rhn_check

If you don't restart rhnsd. rhn_check is the script that actually calls
up2date for you when you schedule updates.

        Dave