up2date: how does it get run?

Art Wildman Art.Wildman at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 8 17:09:35 UTC 2006

K. Reid Wightman wrote:

> Hi All -
>
> I've been getting notices from RHN that one of my servers is failing
> to check in (and pull down updates).  When I log in to the server and
> run up2date -u, it runs just dandy and updates the system entry on RHN
> with the time it was run.
>
> Looking at /var/log/up2date, it's pretty clear that up2date isn't
> getting run automatically.  I don't know how it's 'supposed' to be
> called though.  I've monkeyed around with the system enough that maybe
> I deleted a script that I shouldn't have?
>
> I don't see anything looking like an up2date call in any of my cron
> directories nor in crontab itself.  Does anyone know how it's supposed
> to get run?

On my systems there is an up2date cron & the rhnsd service is enabled...

/etc/crond.daily/up2date.sh

# chkconfig --list | grep rhn
rhnsd           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Re: RHN Monitoring - redhat-sysadmin-list
https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-sysadmin-list/2006-October/msg00016.html

-HTH Art at JAX

--
Art Wildman - NWS JAX FL. - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" -Rush|Freewill