ps displays uid number instead of name

Richard Riley rriley at procuri.com
Mon Aug 6 17:32:06 UTC 2007

I have just noticed on a couple of my RHEL 4 servers that when I run the
"ps" command it displays the uid number instead of the userid name for
some users.  I have these same users on other RHEL 4 servers (same
version) and everything is displayed normally.  The user names that I
have problems with are all over eight characters long.
This is not a big problem, but it is annoying to have to lookup the uid
number in the password file to determine the user associated with the
process.

Richard Riley
System Administrator
Procuri Inc.