nameserver: dumping master file: XXXX permission denied

Hofmann, Günter Guenter.Hofmann at loeffelhardt.de
Fri Aug 17 14:59:35 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I check my configuration and the permissions to directories and files 3 or 4 times, but I can't find my mistake:
I run Bind Version 9.2.4 on Red Hat 4 in chroot directory as a slave nameserver:

I got the following entries in messages:
snip--
dumping master file: tmp-XXX539: open: permission denied
transfer of 'my_zone' from 'my_master_nameserver_IP'#53: failed while recieving responses: permission denied
transfer of 'my_zone' from 'my_master_nameserver_IP'#53: end of transfer
--snip

If I run the nameserver as root, it works without errors. But: the symlinks in /var/named to the zone files in /var/named/chroot/var/named are overwritten with real files.

Can anybody tell me, which permissions I have to set to the different directories and files ?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

i.A. Günter Hofmann
- Datenverarbeitung und Organisation -

Tel. 0711/5207-337
Fax 0711/5207-437
<mailto:Guenter.Hofmann at Loeffelhardt.de>
Besuchen Sie uns auf unseren Websites:
www.loeffelhardt.de
www.loeffelhardt.kuechen.de

Emil Löffelhardt GmbH & Co. KG
Höhenstrasse 23
70736 Fellbach

Sitz der Gesellschaft Fellbach
Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRA 260401
Geschäftsführer: Dietrich Rommel, Sabine Bachmann, Rainer Rommel