Fastest System Possible

Jonathan Klay Jonathan.Klay at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 6 21:06:53 UTC 2007

For a fast system you might try:
Use dual Xeon or AMD X2 AM2 processors with the 64 bit RHEL version.
Get a fast SATA RAID card (and mobo to support it) for PCI-X 133 or
PCI-E 16x and put 3 or 4 WD raptor disks in a RAID5 setup on it to
increase disk i/o (and added data protection).
Use fastest RAM available, in dual channel mode.
Get a high-quality ethernet card to offload some cpu cycles.
Use an optimizing compiler.
Don't start up X, and clean up all those other services you don't need.