Daylight saving changes

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 12:36:47 UTC 2007

> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 19:35:46 +0100, Richard Riley <rriley at procuri.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Daylight savings time start and stop times change this year in the USA.
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction for changing my systems
> > (RHEL3 and RHEL4) so they will automatically switch to/from DST at the
> > appropriate times?
> >
> > Richard
> correction,
>
> You may synchronize with a time server = quick solution
>
> 1) consult your RHEL ntp* documentation
> 2) synchronize with a national time server, during a maintenance window
>   1+2 = solution for production systems
Synchronizing with a time server will not fix the time zone issue,
which by the way is all about the display of time, but not the
internal accounting of time.  ntp will set the system clock, but the
system clock stores time in seconds since epoch, and essentially in
UTC, if not synchronizing time across time zones would be at best a
mess.  At anyrate, syncing with ntp will not update his system to the
new timezone rules for the US.

So what will do that.  Download the latest tzdata package which has
the fix in it.  I forget the exact version, but the latest one for
RHEL 4 should do.

Cheers...james