SSH -X doesn't work without an export DISPLAY

Michel Dubois mdubois at polytech.unice.fr
Mon Jul 9 08:33:50 UTC 2007

On Saturday 07 July 2007 10:36:15 harold molly wrote:
> Is there specific configuration required to connect to the
> ssh daemon on the destination server, solaris sshd man page?

As the "ssh -Y" is not supported by the ssh client  of SUN, I don't know how
to do.
I think, there is a problem with the authorization cookies.
I forward you an extract of the ssh man page about the Xforwarding :

User Commands                                              ssh(1)

     -X    Enables X11 forwarding. This can also be specified  on
           a per-host basis in a configuration file.

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
     ssh will normally set the following environment variables:

     DISPLAY
           The DISPLAY variable indicates the location of the X11
           server.  It  is automatically set by ssh to point to a
           value of the form hostname:n where hostname  indicates
           the  host  where  the  shell runs, and n is an integer
           greater than or equal to  1.  ssh  uses  this  special
           value to forward X11 connections over the secure chan-
           nel. The user should normally not set  DISPLAY  expli-
           citly, as that will render the X11 connection insecure
           (and will  require  the  user  to  manually  copy  any
           required authorization cookies).

I tried this command on Red Hat server but it doesn't work :
xauth add `echo "${DISPLAY}" | sed 's/.*\(:.*\)/\1/'` . `mcookie`

--
Cordialement.