regulating browsing time

Reid Wightman reidkr at spawar.navy.mil
Mon Jun 18 18:59:29 UTC 2007

You could do an selinux policy also.  Give your web browsing programs a
type, and set an selinux boolean via cron that allows those browsing
programs the ability to open network sockets only during the appropriate
times.

Any method is going to have a flaw, e.g. relying on proxys or firewall
timers will mean the user can get creative and put a  proxy somewhere on
the internet on a strange port (21, 22, 25, or some other port that
you're not blocking).  SELinux is the most secure, if you're really
interested ;-).  Of course, it will not work at all if the users are
local administrators for their machines (like I say, any method will
have a flaw).

Reid