apache logs from a load balanced pair

Simon Rose - Pitch Simon.Rose at pitch.tv
Wed Mar 7 15:14:03 UTC 2007

I like that, thanks very much.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-sysadmin-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-sysadmin-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Barry
Brimer
Sent: 07 March 2007 14:42
To: redhat-sysadmin-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: apache logs from a load balanced pair

> The problem I have is that our hosting company does not advocate using

> GFS and I don't know what the most usual way of handling logging is in

> this kind of setup.  Should we be using some kind of messaging
> architecture to handle logging? should we use a database? What do
> other SysAdmins do?

I would let each machine log on their own local disk, using a piped
logger such as cronolog <http://www.cronolog.org/> and then I would
write a wrapper script to transfer one machine's log file(s) to the
other and use the logresolvemerge utility from awstats
<http://www.awstats.org> to put the logs together and do analytics.

Barry