up2date exits immediately (RHEL 4)

Phil Bettinson phb at llgc.org.uk
Tue Mar 13 10:47:57 UTC 2007

Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:43:52 -0500
>> From: "Lengyel, Florian" <FLengyel at gc.cuny.edu>
>> To: redhat-sysadmin-list at redhat.com
>> Subject: up2date exits immediately (RHEL 4)
>>
>> Hi,
>> I have two RHEL 4 AS i386 systems on which up2date simply exits immediately. Recompiling and installing from source RPMS had no effect. Has this been encountered before?
>> Thanks,
>
> Usually when something exits that fast the reason will be pretty clear when running
> it under strace.

If you don't get a message saying "why" up2date has exited (normally it
will tell you that there's no licence, must be associated with a
channel, no route to host, that kind of thing), then I would check the
rpm database, or see if there is a "hung" up2date running in the background.

Check the rpm site, and try a few of the things that they suggest
(removing lock files, rebuilding the db, that sort of thing)
http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/

See if that gets you going again. I've never had problems like with
up2date, but I have with yum.

Thanks,

~Phil

			Phil Bettinson

BEng, RHCT 			Beng, RHCT
Swyddog Gweinyddu Systemau	Systems Administrator

Isadran Cyfrifiaduron        	Computer Section
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru    National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, 			Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, 			Ceredigion
SY23 3BU			SY23 3BU

Ffôn / Phone: 01970 632XXX 	Ffacs / Fax: 01970 615XXX
EBost / Email: nospam at llgc.org.uk  We / Web: http://www.llgc.org.uk