.bashrc and .bash_profile

Art Wildman Art.Wildman at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 6 16:21:26 UTC 2007

Global or application specific changes applied to all/groups of users go
into separate ENV/Shell scripts placed into /etc/profile.d, those are
called (sourced) from /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile. New users default
scripts & env settings come from /etc/skel. Usually ENV setting go into
~/.bashrc (which effect all non-interactive sessions) and interactive
settings (term keymap settings) go into ~/.bash_profile.

See also...
info bash
help
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html