An interesting NFS mounting problem

Paul N paul.nuffer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 18:58:12 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, Zhou, Jingchen <jingchen at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> I think this has something to do with iptables. I just don't know how to fix this problem. What is funny is that some clients on the same network work, while others (e.g. nfsclient1) don't. Even for nfsclients1, I notice sometime it can mount /u1, /usr/local, but not /home at boot time. Of course, if I do "mount -a" from command line, all gets mounted. By the way, all the clients are configured the same way. This NFS problem appears to be very random.

Just to eliminate guesses, if your security can afford it, you could
try taking nfsclient1's iptables out of the picture for the boot:
`/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 iptables off` Reboot, then see if the
same error appears.

Relating to the second half - are /u1, /usr/local, and /home all
exports from the same nfs server?

Paul