rsync problem with selinux

Richard Riley rriley at procuri.com
Wed Sep 19 20:33:01 UTC 2007

I'm trying to use rsync to synchronize customer application files across
multiple WEB servers.  The actual copying of the files works fine.  The
problem is that it changes the selinux security context of the files.
Since there are over 2000 files for each customer, it becomes a major
issue to correct the security context after the fact as not all have the
same context.  Searching the WEB, I have found references to a "-X"
option to rsync, but this option does not exist in the RHEL4 version of
rsync.  Do I have any options other than finding an open source version
to compile locally to fix this?

The rsync command I am using is as follows:

"cd /local/base/directory"
"rsync -avz  localdirectory rsync://remotehost/modulename"

Richard Riley
System Administrator
Email: rriley at procuri.com <mailto:rgambotz at procuri.com>